Saturday, January 23

Are You Snowed In? And A Wish for A Beautiful Saturday


Here's hoping blog friends and old friends in the East are safe and warm.

Before moving to West Texas, I lived all over. Just all over this country, from one coast to another and to the other (the Gulf Coast), on islands, in log cabins, by rivers, in the desert, by the Canadian border, and more. I'm one of those bores who pipes up "I used to live there!" or "I lived right by there!" all the time. 

During my two years in the D.C. area, I experienced snow, and lots of it. I had so rarely seen snow. I was so frightened of it that although I was exhausted from being a new mother, I got up every few minutes and went outside and used a broom to get the snow off of our car, and tried to keep it from piling up behind the car.

I'll tell this tale, again (I never miss a chance to tell it a time or two): I fainted when I first saw snow, as an adult. I just could not wrap my mind around the fact of seeing snow, on a hill. I was raised in the delta. I did not understand hills and snow. 

To see snow and a hill together overwhelmed me and I fainted, much to the disapproval of my future in-laws, who were stern no-nonsense people wondering what possessed their equally dour son to pluck this silly flower out of the South and want to marry her. 

So, friends, I hope wherever you are (I lived right by there!), you have a wonderful Saturday.






3 Elf-Friends have commented... :

  • Paula

    What a wonderful story. I, on the other hand, have spent my entire life living in Kansas. (Except for two very short spells, like a couple months) I would have loved to live all over the U.S.

  • Sweet Sue

    and a blissful saturday to you as well holly:) xo

  • Buttercup

    Snowed in, at least for tonight. I expect that some of the neighborhood will be shoveled out tomorrow and I'll be able to get to the park and take pictures. I've enjoyed my snow day. Those are children on the left of picture. Lots of visits to the park for sledding. Both of my neighbors with children had their sleds by the door.

Post a Comment

Halloo dearies! Glad t'see you and thanks for any kind comments.