Friday, January 22

Pretty Calling Cards Sampler, and A New Orleans Connection


The strangest thing happened today at work: I met a traveling salesman, as they were once called, who is a year old than I am and who was raised just a few blocks away from my childhood home. He came into work, and as soon as I heard his accent, I knew he was brought up in New Orleans. And he was carrying a box. "That has to be a King Cake," I said. Unmistakable bakery fragrance was wafting out of the box. I could feel that cake in my soul.

And that's when we discovered we were practically neighbors as children. I could have spoken with him for hours, but there was work to do. It was a lovely interlude, just the same, and I keep happily and wondrously replaying our conversation. I know exactly his former home, having biked and walked past thousands of times. His family had the chain-link low fence with the swinging gates that met over the driveway, and two Shetland Sheepdogs devoted to barking everyone down the block. Gone, now, of course, gone for decades. It's so rare, for me, to find someone who has the same memory of something as I do. So much has changed.

Today I have a cute sheet of "calling cards" to print and use in crafting or scrapbooking. 

Remember, to save, click, but not on the "P" or you'll go to Pinterest. Click, click, right click, and it is saved.

Thank'ee for dropping by! And for my readers in the midst of the huge winter storm in the East, I hope you stay warm and safe.

4 Elf-Friends have commented... :

  • Joanne Noragon

    What fun to reconnect, even for a little bit. Years ago, at work, I made a phone call and the person who answered said "Ed XYZ's desk." The last name was so unusual I knew it could only be an old college friend, so instead of sounding flabbergasted at dialing a wrong number, I coolly asked for Ed. It was indeed the man, and furthermore, he now worked for the CIA and they were moving to a new office that morning. We chatted for a few minutes. That was it; the friendship wasn't renewed.

  • Paula

    Beautiful calling cards. And a wonderful re-connection to the 'old neighborhood'.

  • Prims By The Water

    Your calling cards are so pretty. So glad you were able to connect with someone from your old neighborhood..even though it was a short visit. Have a great weekend! Janice

  • Anonymous

    I'm so glad to see you blogging again, Penniwig! Sharon

Post a Comment

Halloo dearies! Glad t'see you and thanks for any kind comments.