Friday, December 11

Don't Touch That Dial: Santa on TV


This is an old greeting card of Santa on television. A big bow wraps up the TV and its stately cabinet, and there certainly would have been squeals of delight had a family really received such a present. I recall we were one of the last people on our block to have a color television. And I remember the wonderful feeling that as I watched "Rudolph" and "Frosty" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "The House Without A Christmas Tree" on television, I knew millions more were watching, too. I felt so connected to a world beyond my sad one.

It boggles my mind that so much has changed. I have no idea who most of my neighbors are. Many have never spoken to us, nor I to them. Some of the newer neighbors are mean and threatening. I have no idea as to what they have in their homes or behind their tall privacy fences. And I gave up watching television decades ago. Too decadent, too many channels, just too much. Except now Netflix has brought some interesting series into my life! Certainly I've enjoyed Once, with Rumpelstiltskin also saying "dearie" as I do!

Yes, so much has changed, and not all of it for the better. Much of it; not all of it. Of course! I think I look backwards more in the weeks before Christmas than any other time of year. 

But despite the "bad" changes, we live in interesting times.

5 Elf-Friends have commented... :

  • Anonymous

    So sorry that your first visit to my blog was to read about my granddaughter's accident. But thank you for visiting. I hope you find your way back from time to time. There will certain,y be more pleasant stories to share. I have had your blog listed on my sidebar so others can find you. I must tell you that I LOVE your list of book that you reread often. Because of your list, I have downloaded one I haven't read. I LOVE old literature and so have downloaded The Vicar of Wakefield. Thanks for sharing that way. I will have hours of enjoyment as I read. Your blog is delightful and I should have commented sooner.

  • Paula

    We did not have a TV when I was young. I think I was a teen before we ever had one. We got 3 channels and they were black and white. My mom controlled what we were going to watch. And we had to get up and walk to the TV every time we changed the channel. Can you imagine how much less TV would be watched now if we still had to do that??

  • Olde Dame Penniwig

    Gram, YOUR blog is delightful. I was so sorry to read about the accident. Life can change in the blink of an eye. We just have to hang on and go forward, of course. I hope you love The Vicar of Wakefield. Hilarious, touching, and true hundreds of years later.

    Paula: Yes, maybe we would all be in better shape if we had to get up to change channels or call something up on Netflix!

  • ~Kim at Golden Pines~

    Hello New Friend! THANK YOU for your kind comments you've left on my blog, it's really nice to meet you! I know what you mean about people. I don't miss having neighbors, and the world we live in certainly has changed, and this week, I think was one to just turn off the news and ignore all that has been happening lately. I think if more people took to heart the way things used to be, kindness and compassion wouldn't be such a rarity these days. I do hope you've had a good weekend -- By the way, we share Christmas TV favorites, add "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the original) that I love to watch every year. Do kids these days watch them? They're missing something if they don't! Take care, and again, it's nice to meet you! :-)

  • Olde Dame Penniwig

    Thank you, Kim! I love your blog and was so lucky to find it. I agree, these past few weeks have had so much sadness and mayhem.

    YES, the original "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" - an absolute favorite! How did I forget it??? Thanks for adding it!

Post a Comment

Halloo dearies! Glad t'see you and thanks for any kind comments.