Wednesday, January 27

Sewn Paper Hearts from Book Pages: A Tutorial


On Pinterest, I saw a "Pin" that was very eye-catching. Someone had made hearts from the pages of an old book. They were written in a language other than English, in narrow columns. 

I don't have the same columned paper to use, so I used paperback paper. Click my picture of my version, below, to get a bigger picture. Don't click the "P" unless trying to "pin" it.



But there were no instructions on the post where the hearts were featured. I took a good look and tried to reproduce them.

They were slightly filled, and the edges were sewn with a blanket stitch after being darkened with ink or chalk. Then a little vintage cut-out was pasted to them, and what looks like "caviar" was placed around the cutouts in a heart shape. The caviar was deep blue on the heart nearest the camera.

What's caviar? It also goes by the name "micro beads" and "micro balls" and I found it by searching for "nail caviar." It very much looks like little fish eggs! Alas, my caviar is taking its time arriving, so I put some big glitter on my hearts and called it good. 

So, to make these hearts, find a suitable book - I'd suggest an old hardback with decent paper. I unfortunately used a very silly sci-fi paperback, and the paper was as porous and lousy as the plot. Hmph!



  • Cut out heart shapes using a template (you can make your own, or use those below). Pull or tear out four pages, trace around the template with a pencil, cut through all four pages at once. Continue until you have enough hearts cut out. Each heart takes two pieces, m'dears.


  • Now ink the edges with a nice brown ink or piece of chalk. A Prismacolor pencil will also do the job quite nicely if you have no ink or chalk!
  • Sew a blanket stitch around the edges. When you have just a little bit still open, stuff a bit of cotton fluff or a bit of tissue paper in there, then finish stitching.
  • Print out some likely images, or get some old Valentine reproductions and cut out shapes or heart shapes
  • Glue to the middle of the hearts
  • Take your glue (I do like that Aleene's Fast Grab very much) and apply a thin bead where you want the caviar or glitter, and shake or spoon it over the glue very quickly.
  • Shake off excess.

I think they look fine in a canning jar, or in a nest, or really tucked anywhere you like. I think five is the minimum to make. Wish I had made more, and maybe I will, as soon as the caviar arrives.

7 Elf-Friends have commented... :

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    I made some of these a few years ago and called them "not quite right" hearts. I made them for Hallowooooonie because it's my fave holiday.

  • Olde Dame Penniwig

    Linda, do you have tips for making them? I think Halloween ones would look great, too - maybe dark ink on edges and bright orange thread for stitching, and orange or black caviar...

  • Anonymous

    Awesome! I'm working on some made from old music that has yellowed. I had to back the music to make more firm for the stitching, but the music is fun, too. I learned something new from you again though. Never heard of cavier as you used it. Festive!

  • Lil Raggedy Angie

    LOVE !!! If no one has told you lately ...YOU'RE AMAZING ! ~ ANGELA

  • Olde Dame Penniwig

    Can't wait to see those finished hearts, GNG. Sheet music! Sheer genius idea!

    Thx for the kind words, Angela! From one crafter to another, it is very meaningful!

  • Cynthia

    I have some old book pages that will be fun for these. I'm going to make them to string across the fireplace mantle and I think I'll get the white Christmas lights and some grapevine going on, too. Fun idea -- and no expense, my favorite price!

  • Debra

    Wow- tey turned out wonderful!!

Post a Comment

Halloo dearies! Glad t'see you and thanks for any kind comments.